Internet in figures and its future

Internet in figures and its future

Since its birth, the Internet has become the great universal storage container for information for more and more people around the planet, which has caused that, like the universe, the network of networks lives in a permanent state of expansion. Due to the constant increase in information Let us see briefly and in concrete figures the expansion of this universe called the Internet and its projections for the future, based on the infographic published by flowtown:

Number of sites and portals on the Internet worldwide

If in the distant 2003, the number of sites and Web portals existing throughout the network was estimated at a discrete 30 million, the tremendous speed with which the network has grown in these 8 years has triggered this number, which reached 100 million Web pages in 2006 and in 2010 that we have just closed, this figure is estimated at about 250 million.

Number of Internet users in the world

If in 1995 the number of people in the world who had access to the Internet was practically non-existent, in the last 16 years the emergence of the Internet and the increase in users has grown exponentially. Thus, in March 2001, 500 million people They already had an Internet connection and in September of the same year this amount reached 10% of the total world population; approximately 600 million people. By September 2007, this number had doubled; In other words, the threshold of 1,200 million Internet users or, in other words, 20% of humanity had been surpassed. December 2010 closed with 30% of the world’s population; approximately 2 billion people connected to the Internet worldwide, and projections indicate that this rapid rise will skyrocket in a very few years due to the emergence of the mobile Internet and in a world that currently has 5.1 billion mobile phones and a Increasingly growing percentage of Smartphones. Thus, the amount of information published, promoted or uploaded by Internet users in the most popular applications today reaches simply impressive figures:

Youtube: Every minute of the day about 24 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube Twitter: 65 million Tweets are shared by Internet users on this microblogging network; that is, about 45,000 Tweets per minute. Facebook: The most popular social network of all and around the world has already exceeded 500 million registered users, who on average produce about 90 units of content each month, for a total of 45,000,000,000; that is, 45 billion publications per month. Wikipedia: The popular online encyclopedia that laid the foundations of Web 2.0 by presenting a collaborative and open publication scheme has not been immune to this exponential growth, since if in 2001 it had 19,700 published pages, at present this figure is estimated at more than 3.5 million.

The amount of information stored and the Internet exceeds the imaginable

Between 2009 and 2020, the amount of information created and replicated on the Internet will have increased to reach the immeasurable figure of 35 trillion Gigabytes, or what is the same, 35 Zettabytes of information and in different media: Video, audio, text, etc. . Something like a lot of DVDs stacked on top of each other, covering the distance between the earth and the moon and back. If in 2009, the digital universe expanded by 62% and in 2010 by 50% compared to the previous year, in 2020 it is estimated that the amount of information stored on the Internet will have grown 44 times compared to 2009. 70% of this information will have been generated by normal Internet users; that is to say, people at home, at work or on their journeys.

Information goes to the cloud

By 2020, approximately 15% of all network information will be stored remotely, under the Cloud Computing scheme or cloud storage.

Where do we store the information?

However, there is a dark side to these huge content creation figures, as there is a gap between the information generated and the storage capacity available for it.It is estimated that if all the Gigabytes of information generated on the Internet in 2009 would have had to be stored, 35% of it would not have had a place in the information storage systems available to date. This figure shoots up to 60% if the amount of information generated and the Petabytes for storage are projected in 2020. all that glitters is gold, since it is estimated that 75% of all information on the Internet is a copy or replication, so only 25% of all the information we generate is original and the remaining 75% is distributed between backups, redundant data and information repeated ad nauseam. Source: Flowtown